Drought Support & Incentives
Support and initiatives
Australian Government Support: You can contact Regional Recovery Officer, Claire Butler to find about the Australian Government assistance that is available, how to access it and to ensure it meets your individual needs. T: 0427 563 876. E: RROfarwestnsw@pmc.gov.au. Website. Facebook. Instagram.
- If you are having difficulty paying your Council rates and charges, please contact Murrumbidgee Council on 1300 676 243.
- One off payments are available through St Vincent de Paul, Rural Aid and the CWA. You can dowload a St Vincent de Paul brochure here. Eligible persons can receive a cash grant of upto $3,000. To be eligible you need to be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident, 18 years old or older, live and/or work in the Murrumbidgee Council area. This is an Australian Government initiative and organisations such as Vinnies are working with the Government to distribute the funds to farming households in the area.
- Contact Rural Financial Counsellor, Airlie Hoskins for financial counselling. Airlie is located in the Coleambally Council office. T: 0429 396 729 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact your bank for information regarding their Hardship Policies.
- Assistance with writing grant applications is available through Council.
Mental health and wellbeing
It's vital that we look out for ourselves and those around us during times of hardship.
Support services available are listed here.
Events and activities
In 2020 and 2021, Council utilised The Australian Government Drought Programme to help alleviate the impact of the drought.
We used some of this money to support events throughout the area, including:
AFL “Tackle your Feelings” Coaching program at Jerilderie (5 March 2020) and Coleambally (6 March 2020).
Farm budgeting Masterclasses.
International Women’s Day luncheon (6 March 2020).
“Cork, Canvas and Create” Wellness in the Park.
Wellness activities in Jerilderie and Darlington Point – FloYo in the Pool (Yoga and HIT class).
Women on Wheels training days in Yanco.
Escape the Drought free community events in Jerilderie (29 November 2019), Darlington Point (5 December 2019) and Coleambally (6 December 2019)