Drought support and incentives
Support and initiatives
The prolonged drought has had a severe impact on our agricultural sector and this has flowed through to the whole Murrumbidgee economy. It has been a very difficult time for our community. However, a number of support initiatives are in place to assist us all through this period and beyond.
Council employs Drought Support Officer, Samantha Star, as part of the Australian Government Drought Communities Programme funding.
Samantha is available to advise on initiatives and support that is available.
She also co-ordinates and assists with community events.
Contact Samantha for more information on 0400 321 016.
- If you are having difficulty paying your Council rates and charges, please contact Murrumbidgee Council on 1300 676 243.
- One off payments are available through St Vincent de Paul, Rural Aid and the CWA.
- Contact Rural Financial Counsellor, Airlie Hoskins for financial counselling. Airlie is located in the Coleambally Council office. T: 0429 396 729 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact your bank for information regarding their Hardship Policies.
- Assistance with writing grant applications is available through Council.
For a list of the latest initiatives and grants, subscribe to our e-newsletter
Mental health and wellbeing
It's vital that we look out for ourselves and those around us during times of hardship.
Support services available are listed here.
Events and activities
The Australian Government has provided $1 million in funding to many local councils, including Murrumbidgee Council, to help alleviate the impact of the drought.
Our Council is using some of this money to support events throughout the area, including:
AFL “Tackle your Feelings” Coaching program at Jerilderie (5 March 2020) and Coleambally (6 March 2020).
Farm budgeting Masterclasses.
International Women’s Day luncheon (6 March 2020).
“Cork, Canvas and Create” Wellness in the Park.
Wellness activities in Jerilderie and Darlington Point – FloYo in the Pool (Yoga and HIT class).
Women on Wheels training days in Yanco.
Escape the Drought free community events in Jerilderie (29 November 2019), Darlington Point (5 December 2019) and Coleambally (6 December 2019)
Service NSW mobile van visit
The mobile van will be in:
Jerilderie on Tuesday 10 December from 10am-3pm (outside Civic Hall) and
Coleambally on Wednesday 11 December from 9am-3pm (outside Community Hall).