Prepare now. Be alert. Act early!

You can safeguard your property by checking that your roof, guttering, downpipes and drains are free from debris. If your gutters or downpipes are blocked and we get heavy rain, it could flow into your roof cavity, causing serious damage. You should also trim trees and branches that could potentially fall on your home or property.

Other tips are:
  • Review your Home Emergency Plan - Households that plan for emergencies significantly reduce losses associated with disasters
  • Check your insurance
  • Prepare an emergency kit in case you lose power or need to leave your home
  • Be kind to each other - we've faced one challenge after another of late. Look out for each and reach out if you need support.
  • In life-threatening emergencies, call 000 (triple zero) immediately.
  • If you require rescue, assistance to evacuate or other emergency help, ring NSW SES on 132 500.
  • Keep up to date with the latest news and warnings.
Planning now can minimise damage to your property and possessions. Find out more at https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/disaster-tabs-header/storm/

The SES Warning System

Warning levels and action statements

There are three levels within the AWS - Advice, Watch & Act and Emergency Warning. For each level, there are a series of clear action statements to guide positive action by the community. These include ‘stay informed’, ‘prepare to evacuate’ and ‘move to higher ground’ as shown below:

  • Advice - an incident has started. Stay up to date in case the situation changes.
    • Stay informed
    • Monitor conditions
    • Reduced threat: return with caution
  • Watch and Act - conditions are changing and you need to start taking action now to protect you and your family.
    • Do not enter floodwater
    • Prepare to evacuate
    • Prepare to isolate
    • Avoid the area
  • Emergency Warning - the highest level of warning. You may be in danger and need to take action immediately.
    • Evacuate now / Evacuate before [time]
    • Shelter now
    • Move to higher ground 

Warning levels

Keeping informed in a flood event

In life-threatening situations call triple zero (000) immediately.

If you require resc
ue, assistance to evacuate, sandbags, feed for isolated livestock or other emergency help, ring NSW SES on 132 500. The SES is the lead agency in all flood events.

Contacts and further information
Listen to your local radio stations (ABC Riverina 97.9 FM or 100.5 FM). Visit reception.abc.net.au to see your closest ABC station.

NSW SES website and Facebook contain information and safety advice: www.ses.nsw.gov.au/flood or www.facebook.com/NSW.SES
Murrumbidgee SES Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MERRHQ
Murray SES Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nswsesmyr
SES Hazard Watch: https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/?fbclid=IwAR3QCiJhjBJ4gY5lP_-tjK6Ey5IHgb5NUlKSTWWvJ-McaodDSkAy-avJ6pA
Access rural animal and livestock assistance at Local Land Services: www.lls.nsw.gov.au

RMS Live Traffic: www.livetraffic.com
Council local road closures: https://www.murrumbidgee.nsw.gov.au/cp_themes/default/page.asp?p=DOC-THJ-15-00-71#

Latest river heights and rainfall observations: http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/flood/rain_river.shtml (look at "Murrumbidgee" section)
Latest NSW warnings: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/
Rainfall forecasts: www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/
Mental health support

Look out for each other and don’t hesitate to reach out for support. Here are
 some options:

Please speak to your GP if you have serious concerns for your mental health. They may be able to provide a telehealth consultation.

For emergency support, please call Triple Zero (000) or head to your nearest emergency department.
Road closures/changes

Visit: https://www.murrumbidgee.nsw.gov.au/cp_themes/default/page.asp?p=DOC-THJ-15-00-71#

Primary Industries Natural Disaster Damage Survey
Primary producers and landholders impacted by floods are asked to fill out the Primary Industries Natural Disaster Damage Survey.

The survey is used by the NSW Department of Primary Industries, Local Land Services, farmers and agricultural industry representatives to record damage to primary production and animals from natural disasters. 

Your input will help the government to understand the impact of this disaster on agriculture. This data will help direct resources and support across NSW. Submitting details of your damages and losses as soon as possible will help DPI to determine: 

  • the area the natural disaster has impacted and the scale of the event
  • the severity of the impact
  • the value of impact to primary production
  • where and what assistance or resources may be needed

The damage survey allows you to: 

  • complete a simple survey the number of crops, animals, infrastructure and other primary industries damaged in a single event
  • add photos to the assessment
  • see the severity of damage in your area.

Financial Support for flood-affected businesses, rural landholders and community members

NSW Government Disaster Assistance Finder - see what assistance you may be eligible for.

Information on disaster assistance can be found on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au 

NSW Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements

Assistance available:

  • Primary producers: Concessional loans up to $130,000
  • Transport subsidy up to $15,000
  • Grants up to $25,000
  • Small business: Concessional loans up to $130,000
  • Not-for-profit/community organisations: Concessional loans up to $25,000
  • Donated fodder transport subsidy
  • Sporting clubs: Concessional loans up to $10,000

More information and to submit a claim.

Disaster Recovery Allowance
The Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) is a short-term payment to help you if your income has been directly affected by the current and ongoing New South Wales floods from 14 September 2022 through to November 2022. More information and to submit a claim.

NSW small business flood support
There are support services available for small business owners and operators in the Murrumbidgee Council area who have been affected by the NSW storms and floods. More information.

To see what NSW Rural Assistance Authority support is currently available in our area, please click here.

Other assistance which may be available through Services Australiacan be accessed here.

NSW Council of Social Services provides information about key supports and services for individuals.

For legal and insurance advice 

Disaster Response Legal Service NSW - T: 1800 801 529
Insurance Australia - Frequently Asked Questions after a disaster

Assistance with livestock

Stock and Animal Welfare: Call the Agricultural and Animal Service hotline on 1800 816 647 for help with:

  • Livestock assessments and veterinary assistance
  • Emergency fodder where access allows
  • Euthanasia and burial if required
You can also call the NSW SES on 132 500 if you require feed for isolated livestock.

If you are isolated

In life-threatening situations, call triple zero (000) immediately.

If you require rescue, assistance to evacuate, sandbags, feed for isolated livestock or other emergency help, ring NSW SES on 132 500.The SES is the lead agency in all flood events.

If you need essential resupply or essential transport (for example, for an essential medical appointment):
  • Call the NSW SES on 132 500 and provide:
    • Your name and contact number
    • Name and contact number for the person who needs assistance (if you're applying on behalf of someone else)
    • Residential or business address 
    • Pick up address and delivery address
  • You will be provided with a reference number
  • Contact your local supplier (eg a supermarket), pay for the goods and arrange them to be delivered to the NSW SES site. Ensure your supplier packages your order appropriately and marks it with the property/person name, address, contact details and NSW SES reference number
  • NSW SES will arrange delivery to the isolated location

Cleaning up after a flood
Visit: https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/flood-resources/after-a-flood/cleaning-up-after-a-flood/
Donating to communities affected by flooding

Be smart in how you help people affected by storms and flooding. GIVIT is the smart way to give to support recovery after devastating storms and flooding across New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
Please do not send unrequested donations to impacted areas. Unrequested donations hinder recovery efforts. Together we can ensure quality donations do not go to waste. GIVIT captures all donation offers online, where you can see and give exactly what's needed. More information.
Past activities
  • Flood Recovery Session - hosted by Resilience NSW - Thursday 15 December 2022 from 9 am to 12 pm at Jerilderie Civic Hall, 33 Jerilderie Street, Jerilderie
  • Enterprise Plus Visit - Flood Recovery Hub - Darlington Point - Monday 12 December 2022 from 10 am to 3 pm
    Lat Murrumbidgee Council Chambers, Carrington Street, Darlington Point
  • Flood Recovery Hub -  Wednesday 7 December 2022 from 10 am to 6 pm at Murrumbidgee Council Chambers, Carrington Street, Darlington Point. Agencies included: Rural Financial Counselling Service, Service NSW, Resilience NSW, Legal Aid, NEMA and Murrumbidgee Local Health District (Aboriginal Health, Mental Health, Health Disaster Management). This was supported by a Japanese Encephalitis clinic at Darlington Point Community Health Centre. Almost 150 people were vaccinated.
  • Community Feedback Meeting - Tuesday 22 November 2022 from 3 pm to 6 pm at Murrumbidgee Council Chambers, Darlington Point. Around 20 people presented to provide feedback to Council on the response to the flood event and to make suggestions of how this could be improved in future years.
  • Community Flood Meeting - Thursday 10 November 2022 at the Darlington Point Sports Club. Convened by SES and Murrumbidgee Council to update the community on the emerging flood situation. Around 150 people attended.