Lost and Found

I've found a lost dog or cat


If you have found a cat, dog or any other companion animal who you believe is a stray, you should check whether he or she is wearing a collar and tag. If you can't contact the owner,  you should arrange for the animal to be taken to the council pound or a veterinary practice, so the animal can be scanned for a microchip to find out who the owner is. In many cases, Council is the first place concerned pet owners will contact if they have lost a pet.

If you notify Council that you have a stray animal secured on your property, a Ranger will come and collect the animal and take it to the pound.

I've lost my dog or cat

If you have lost your dog or cat, please contact Council as soon as possible. If we do not yet have your pet impounded, we can take your details and contact you if it does end up being impounded.

Local community social media pages can also be very effective. 

Council will house stray animals for 14 days, if the owner of that animal can be identified. If the owner cannot be identified, Council will house the straying animal for 7 days. If the animal is not claimed within these time periods, we will try to re-home the pet through a pet rescue service, however if unsuccessful, the animal may be euthanised.

Council may collect cats by request, if they are appropriately contained.

Seized dogs and cats

If your dog is in a public place and not in a designated off-leash area, it must be under the effective control of a competent person by an adequate chain, cord or leash that is attached to the dog and that is being held (or secured to) the person. If the owner of the dog is present, only a Ranger may seize the animal if it isn't under effective control. If the owner isn't present, any member of the public may seize the animal, however they must return it to its owner (if the owner is known) or contact Council. Any person who seizes a dog and does not return it to its owner or notify Council, is guilty of an offence and may receive a fine.

Owners claiming a seized animal will need to pay a release fee and maintenance fees for the keeping and sustenance of that animal. All dogs and cats that are released must be microchipped and lifetime registered.

After hours

Council's after hours service is only available for emergency situations involving a dangerous or restricted breed dog roaming, straying animals or where a dog attack has occurred. Should you require assistance please contact or the local Police who will contact Council's After Hours Service if they require assistance. Council's after hours numbers.


If you find livestock roaming free or in a dangerous place please contact Council during business hours. If outside of business hours, please contact Council’s After Hours Service or the local Police.