Companion Animals

Pet identification and registration

Owners of puppies and kittens must microchip their pet by 12 weeks of age or when they are first sold (whatever comes first), and register and pay the registration fee by the time their pet reaches six months of age. This is to ensure pets can be reunited with owners should they become lost.

The registration fee is a once only payment which covers the cat or dog for its lifetime in NSW. Pet owners are encouraged to have their cat or dog desexed before registration. You can process your application in person at our Customer Service Centres or any other NSW Local Council. You can also register your pet online on the Pet Registry website.You will need to present/upload:

  • a signed Lifetime Registration (R2) Form
  • proof of desexing, if applicable
  • a certificate of microchipping/identification or a letter from a vet
  • any other document entitling you to a discount, for example, a pensioner concession card or recognised breeder identification.

Proof of desexing may take the form of a Certificate of Sterilisation, a receipt containing a microchip number from a vet or a statutory declaration from a previous owner stating that the cat or dog has been desexed and is permanently incapable of reproduction.


A microchip is a small 2 mm implant placed under the skin between the shoulder blades. It contains a unique fifteen digit number which is assigned to your pet. Vets, animal welfare organisations, council pounds and other authorised people can microchip a cat or dog. This service will soon be available through Council. Jerilderie Vet Clinic (servicing Jerilderie and Coleambally) also provides microchipping services. You can telephone the clinic on (03) 5886 1436. Vet clincs are also available in Griffith.

Pensioner concession

Pensioner concession is available on registration of an animal only if it is desexed and a valid and pension concession card can be produced.

Recognised breeder

In accordance with the Companion Animals Act, a recognised breeder is a person who is a member of one of the three following organisations:

  • Dogs NSW (formerly Royal NSW Canine Council)
  • NSW Cat Fanciers Association
  • Waratah State Cat Alliance

To obtain a discount as a recognised breeder, at the time of registration you must show all of the following:

  • a current membership card from one of the listed recognised organisations
  • evidence that the animal is a purebred
  • a signed statement (from the owner) that the animal is kept for breeding purposes.

Fee exemption

Owners claiming a lifetime registration fee exemption for an assistance animal must provide proof that the animal is a genuine assistance animal. This includes a signed statement or documentation from a recognised training body that the animal is (or is being) trained as an assistance animal, and a signed statement from the training body or the owner that the animal is being used for that purpose.

Other animals exempt from microchipping and lifetime registration requirements:

  • cats born before 1 July 1999 that remain with their original owner,
  • working dogs used for tending stock on rural properties. A working dog is defined in the Act as a dog used primarily for the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock (or a dog being trained as a working dog). If the dog is declared to be a dangerous dog, it ceases to be a working dog whilst the declaration is in force.
  • greyhounds registered under the Greyhound Racing Act,
  • an animal that is ordinarily kept outside New South Wales, but not if the animal has been in New South Wales for a continuous period of at least 3 months,
  • an animal in the custody of a council (including in a council pound), the Animal Welfare League NSW, The Cat Protection Society of NSW Inc. or RSPCA,
  • an animal in the custody of an organisation approved by the Director-General, for the purposes of this clause, by order published in the Gazette,
  • an animal kept at a pet shop for the purposes of sale,
  • an animal kept for the purposes of sale in the course of a business conducted at a booth or stall in a market or at a fair,
  • a dog that is ordinarily used by a police officer on official duty,
  • a dog that is ordinarily used on official duty by a correctional officer (within the meaning of the Crimes (Administration of Sentences) Act 1999),
  • a dog used by a Commonwealth officer on official duty,
  • an animal in the custody of an accredited research establishment within the meaning of the Animal Research Act 1985, or the holder of an animal research authority or an animal supplier's licence within the meaning of that Act, for purposes in connection with animal research, as authorised under that Act,
  • an animal kept at a licensed animal display establishment within the meaning of the Exhibited Animals Protection Act 1986 and lawfully exhibited in accordance with that Act,
  • a working dog that is ordinarily kept in a part of the Western Division of the State that is not within a local government area.

Change of Owner/Details

It is the responsibility of the old owner (the person selling or giving away the animal) to notify the Council of the change. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $880 or up to $5,500 for a dangerous or restricted dog.

If your contact details change, you must notify authorities within 14 days of the change, otherwise penalties may apply. Keeping your contact details up to date will assist in the return of your cat or dog should it become lost or stray.

Download a Change of Owner/Details Form

You can also update your details, notify if your dog or cat is missing, register ownership changes and pay registration fees online on the NSW Pet Registry site.

Registration fees

Registration fees are set by the NSW Government. They are currently: 

  • Desexed animal: $60 – proof required
  • Desexed animal owned by an eligible pensioner  $26 - proof is required
  • Non-desexed animal: $216
  • Breeder concession: $60 - (animal not desexed that is kept by a recognised breeder for breeding purposes Stat Dec must be provided by breeder)
  • Desexed animal – sold by eligible pound/shelter animal  $30 -  proof is required
  • From 1 July 2020, the NSW Government is introducing annual permits for owners of non-desexed cats ($80) and restricted and dangerous dogs ($195)

The permit requirements have been introduced to promote responsible pet ownership and improve animal welfare standards. Cat owners can avoid the additional annual fee by registering and desexing their cat before 4 months of age.

Responsible pet ownership

It is the responsibility of pet owners to to ensure their animal:

  • has identification tags;
  • is suitably housed ie, adequate fencing; and
  • is effectively controlled when in public ie restrained by suitable handler.

Owning a cat 

The RSPCA have a very useful website with tips about responsible cat ownership. The RSPCA states the idea that all cats need to roam outdoors has changed; many owners now provide a safe and suitable environment for their cat at home all day, every day.

Off Leash Areas

There are designated off leash area available in each of the three communities within Murrumbidgee Council. 

Council promotes the benefits of pets and encourages responsible pet ownership through the provision of harmonious and equitable access to parks and open space for dogs and their owners.

  • Restricted breeds or dogs declared dangerous or menacing are not permitted in off-leash areas;
  • All faeces must be picked up and disposed of;
  • All off-leash areas will be patrolled and all regulations enforced.

You'll find off leash areas at:

Darlington Point

The second oval at the Recreation Reserve, King Street


At the end of Kookaburra Avenue - forest area


Around the Jerilderie Lake from Bundoora Avenue to the Playground area - as signposted

Problem animals

Please call Council on 1300 676 243 for assistance if you are having problems with animals during office hours (between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm).

Outside of those hours, Police or Council staff can be contacted for emergency cases only. This includes dog attacks and stock on roadways after hours. Please note that Council staff are unable to collect straying cats or dogs after business hours.

To report animal cruelty matters please contact the local RSPCA on 1300 CRUELTY or 02 9770 7555 or the nearest police station: 

  • Coleambally Police Station: 02 6954 4104
  • Darlington Point Police Station: 02 6968 4144 
  • Jerilderie Police Station: 03 5886 1244