History of our Council

When we were established - merger of Murrumbidgee Shire Council and Jerilderie Shire Council

At 12:10 pm Thursday 12 May 2016 Jerilderie Shire Council and Murrumbidgee Shire Council ceased to exist.

The two former Councils became part of a new Council proclaimed as “Murrumbidgee Council”.

The merger created a new Local Government Area of 6,680 sq km with a population of 4,047 and encompassing the communities of Jerilderie, Coleambally and Darlington Point.

General Manager of the new Council was Mr Craig Moffitt and the Administrator was Mr Austin Evans.

Councillors from the two former Councils continued their involvement in the Local Representation Committee leading up to an election in September 2017.


History of Jerilderie Shire Council

Jerilderie Shire Council was declared in 1918 after the amalgamation of the former Municipality of Jerilderie (1889 - 1918) and Wunnamurra Shire (1906 - 1918).

At the time of the merger with Murrumbidgee Shire Council, Jerilderie Shire had a resident population of approximately 1,496 and covered an area of 3337.5 square kilometres and was the second smallest Council in NSW.

Jerilderie Shire Council was well known as a progressive rural Council. One of the smaller NSW Councils, Jerilderie Shire was highly regarded for the instigation of its profitable private works programme.

Jerilderie Shire Council's Coat of Arms


History of Murrumbidgee Shire Council

Established in 1906, Murrumbidgee Shire Council covered an area of 3,508 square kilometres, including over 100 kilometres of natural river frontage to the Murrumbidgee River. 

At the time of the merger with Jerilderie Shire Council, Murrumbidgee Shire had a population of 2,400 and was one of the fastest growing rural local government authorities in New South Wales.