Murrumbidgee Shire Council – Merger Proposal Analysis
An independent financial analysis was commissioned for Murrumbidgee Shire Council and carried out by their former Acting General Manager, Mr Kerry McMurray. The report draws on Murrumbidgee’s financial data and information relating to Murrumbidgee Shire Council, without including data on rates, plant and condition rating of roads. We are awaiting provision of this information from Murrumbidgee Shire Council to include here.
The report compares the likely financial benefits and costs, as analysed by Mr Kerry McMurray, of the two merger proposals, namely:
- Murrumbidgee Shire (Whole) with Jerilderie (part) (north of Yanco Creek)
- Murrumbidgee Shire (Whole) with Jerilderie (Whole)
The conclusions reached in the report are:
- The full merger proposal meets all 7 of the governments Fit for the Future benchmarks.
- The split merger meets 6 out of 7 of the Fit for the Future benchmarks.
- The Operating result (before Capital Grants and Contributions) is significantly higher than the split merger.
- Previous analysis by KPMG on the split merger north of the Yanco, is fundamentally flawed in that it assumed income and expenditure would be split 50/50, which is incorrect at all levels.
- The full merger is not a financial dis-benefit to Murrumbidgee.
Please follow the link below to access the report: