History of Jerilderie Shire Council
Jerilderie Shire Council was declared in 1918 after the amalgamation of the former Municipality of Jerilderie (1889 - 1918) and Wunnamurra Shire (1906 - 1918).
At the time of the merger with Murrumbidgee Shire Council, Jerilderie Shire had a resident population of approximately 1,496 and covered an area of 3337.5 square kilometres and was the second smallest Council in NSW.
Jerilderie Shire Council was well known as a progressive rural Council. One of the smaller NSW Councils, Jerilderie Shire was highly regarded for the instigation of its profitable private works programme.
Jerilderie Shire Council has welcomed news from the NSW Government that it will now formally consider our Council’s ALTERNATIVE proposal for all of Jerilderie Shire to merge with Murrumbidgee Shire.