About the Council

A peaceful country atmosphere and tranquil lifestyle underpin the thriving agricultural communities that make up Murrumbidgee Shire. 

Established in 2016, after a merger of Murrumbidgee Shire Council and Jerilderie Shire Council, Murrumbidgee Council covers an area of 6,680 square kilometres including over 100 kilometres of natural river frontage to the Murrumbidgee River. The longest creek in Australia, the Billabong Creek, also runs through the Council.

The Council has a population of 4,047 and is highly regarded for the instigation of its substantial private works programme.


Merger of Murrumbidgee Shire Council and Jerilderie Shire Council

At 12:10pm Thursday 12 May 2016 Jerilderie Shire Council and Murrumbidgee Shire Council ceased to exist. The two former Councils became part of a new Council proclaimed as “Murrumbidgee Council”.

The merger created a new Local Government Area of 6680 sq km with a population of 4047 and encompassing the communities of Jerilderie, Coleambally and Darlington Point.

General Manager of the new Council is Mr Craig Moffitt and the Administrator is Mr Austin Evans.

Councillors from the two former Councils will continue their involvement in the Local Representation Committee leading up to an election scheduled for September 2017.

https://www.strongercouncils.nsw.gov.au/assets/Uploads/Local-Government-Council-Amalgamations-Proclamation.pdf


Community Fact Sheet - Murrumbidgee Council

Please follow the link below to read further information about how the new Murrumbidgee Council will be run, who will pay for Murrumbidgee to be established and other details regarding the organisation.

Community Fact Sheet - Murrumbidgee Council

Community Overview

Covers key industries, employment opportunities, health and education, housing, sport and leisure, transport and communications, distances f...

History of Murrumbidgee Shire Council

Established in 1906, Murrumbidgee Shire Council covered an area of 3,508 square kilometres.

History of Jerilderie Shire Council

Jerilderie Shire Council was declared in 1918 after the amalgamation of the former Municipality of Jerilderie (1889 - 1918) and Wunnamurra Shire (1906 - 1918).